Living Blog

Parenting and property issues are dealt with by the Family Court of Australia and the Federal Circuit Court of Australia, under the Family Law Act, 1975.

These Courts are Commonwealth Courts, not state courts and the Family Law Act is a Commonwealth Act, not a state Act. This means that the law relating to parenting and property disputes apply to all of us in Australia, no matter what State or territory we live in.

The Family Law Act deals with parenting arrangements for children born to married and non- married couples, and to same sex couples. Equally, the Act deals with property disputes...